The Grounds

Photobucket Photobucket

Words by Hannah Rose

"Some places - (and people, and things) - really are overwhelming. You finally make it there after an epic 30 minute walk during which you are sure you went around in at least two very large circles and you barely get a moment to stop and take in the place around you before you are thrust right into the madness.


PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket 


 Servers rushing around with plates of steaming egg-and-bacon rolls, hoards - and we really mean hoardes, there was an hour's wait for a table at 10.30 in the morning and a good 20 or so people lining up for takeaway - of people peering into the windows of pastries lined up for purchase, from danishes with sour cherries and rich, oozing custard to a distinctly un-breakfast like carrot cake with a potent hit of ginger. 


 PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket 


Everywhere we looked something was happening: those beautiful green cups, those doubled-up coffee counters, that open kitchen with the wide granite benches and the coffee roaster and that tantalising view onto your future breakfast, lunch, tea. There simply was too much to see.


PhotobucketPhotobucket


 We're not saying this to deter you from going. You should go. Often and regularly and with us, preferably. The madness of The Grounds is all part of the experience. It's the flavour of the month - and rightly so, rightly so - and that means that everything that makes it good (delicious food at incredibly reasonable prices, an impeccably well-designed interior that, believe us, is worth every single penny that was put into it and fantastically subtle, or rather subtly fantastic coffee) also makes it very, very popular. And it should be popular, because it's out-of-this-world (or at least out-of-this-city, it doesn't feel like any other place in Sydney right now) good. 


PhotobucketPhotobucket

Any place that can render us completely speechless, despite being very hungry and very cold has got to be doing something right. Believe us, between that three cheese toasty ($7 and pretty damn good), those mouth-wateringly good pastries and a buzzing atmosphere that is one part coffee, two parts children [beware of weekend jumping castles if you're not so child friendly, the way I bang on about them I'm hoping this note is not needed for (m)any of my readers - Rachel], three parts unmitigated, unadulterated brilliance, there's not a lot that The Grounds are doing wrong."


 The Grounds, 2A Huntley Street, Alexandria


PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photos: Rachel Kara

 Like this post? Please be so kind and take a minute to let us know and so we can bring you more culinary suggestions and delights to your screen asap! We hope this to be the first of many. x HR & RK

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I tried to get in for breakfast last weekend but the line was two hours long! Devestating! S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooo. It really is devastating when you have your heart set isn't it?! I have since been enjoying midweek soirees where you can almost waltz right in

      Delete
  2. YES please! Ahh I love everything about this post. It's a shame I couldn't eat anything when I was there but the food looked so GOOD and reasonably priced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices actually are so good. Lets date Miss

      Delete
  3. Totally adore this post! More please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yes, more please! I went there for lunch last Sunday...45 minute wait...WORTH IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you have lovely?? I have only had breakfast eat in and lunch takeaway but I need to do it soon. Would love your reccomends

      Delete
  5. everything looks delicious. the only down side is that places like that are usually packed and have huge waiting lines. boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, we just need more new delicious places like this to spread ourselves amongst. Me and Hannah are hoping for a cafe revolution which we believe The Grounds is already part of ;)

      Delete
  6. Love this post, more foodie ones please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. keep up the colabs we love you both

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful images! Love this post.

    I have tried to get a seat at The Grounds without any success, and strolled up to Bread and Circus instead which is also amazing! But I definitely have to try my luck again at The Grounds after seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go midweek and you should have some luck. B&C is not at all a bad alternative when it's full. In fact, I think I may favour it in some ways :)

      Delete
  9. I have yet to visit this place, my sister lives around the corner from it and told me it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must go! Eat in so you can soak in the amazing details in the decor too

      Delete
  10. I went to Doll House and had the worst experience of my life. I ordered a dress 3 months before my formal and it didn’t come in. she told me the dress was customized but was told a week before my formal that they could not do it and was told to chose another dress from the shop which upset me as I had my heart set on the dress I ordered. Thank you Doll House for destroying my only formal it was the worst time.

    ReplyDelete

bites and kisses for you. meow. x